Re: There's some sort of race condition with the new FSM stuff

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, books(at)ejurka(dot)com
Subject: Re: There's some sort of race condition with the new FSM stuff
Date: 2008-10-13 20:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Two different buildfarm machines are currently showing the same failure:
> ERROR: could not fsync segment 0 of relation 1663/16384/29270/1: No such file or directory
> ERROR: checkpoint request failed

Some tests show that when the serial regression tests are run in a
freshly initdb'd installation, HEAD assigns OID 29270 to "bmscantest"
in the bitmapops test. So that's been dropped some time before the
failure occurs; which means that this isn't a narrow-window race
condition; which raises the question of why we're not seeing it on more
machines. I notice now that kudu and dragonfly are actually the same
machine ... could this be an OS-specific problem? Kris, has there been
any system-software change on that machine recently?