Re: large object dump-restore problem(bug?)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Risko Peter <peter(at)risko(dot)hu>
Cc: risko gergely <risko(at)atom(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: large object dump-restore problem(bug?)
Date: 2002-04-26 15:03:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Risko Peter <peter(at)risko(dot)hu> writes:
> Here is my problem. The lo I restored has a new ID, and the description
> vanished. Is there a solution for this?

No, and no. The LO *will* have a new OID; there's no alternative to
that. pg_dump doesn't currently make any attempt to save descriptions
for large objects --- this might have something to do with the fact
that there's no official support for it (no COMMENT ON statement).
LO descriptions exist only in the mind of psql; they're a tad broken
even there, since that code doesn't work if you're not superuser.