Re: ident authentication not working over loopback adapter

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ian Pilcher <pilchman(at)attbi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ident authentication not working over loopback adapter
Date: 2002-12-21 00:24:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ian Pilcher <pilchman(at)attbi(dot)com> writes:
> This is a bit backwards. ident authentication is working for me over
> Unix domain sockets, but it isn't working over the loopback adapter.
> Notes: This is Red Hat Linux 8.0. Password authentication works over
> Unix domain sockets or the loopback adapter.

Check to see if ident traffic is being filtered by kernel-level packet
filtering. IIRC, RHL ships with mighty tight packet filtering, even on
the loopback connection (which is a tad silly, but...). One easy way to
investigate this is to see if you can telnet to the ident daemon:

$ telnet localhost 113 <--- I typed this
Trying...
Connected to localhost.sss.pgh.pa.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
1 2 <--- and this, which is junk,
1 , 0 : ERROR : INVALID-PORT <--- so the ident daemon answered this
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

If you get a timeout or "connection refused" or anything except actual
communication with the ident daemon, you've got a filtering problem.