Re: 7beta3 has naughty parser bug with ALTER USER .. PASSWORD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mike S(dot)" <mikes1987(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7beta3 has naughty parser bug with ALTER USER .. PASSWORD
Date: 2000-04-07 22:19:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Mike S." <mikes1987(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Attempting to give any user a password results in a nice parse error.

I think this was just fixed in the past few days. The current
behavior seems to be consistent with the current documentation:
username is an SQL identifier (hence can appear in double quotes,
but need not) while password is a string constant (hence must appear
in single quotes).

> user.ps indicates that the ALTER command, the USER
> has no quotes and neither does the PASSWORD.

That doc is out of date. We don't normally rebuild the .ps files
until just before release (too painful). You can find an up-to-date
manual on-line at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html