Re: Use "average field correlation per hard disk page" instead of global one?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexey Nalbat <alexey(at)price(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use "average field correlation per hard disk page" instead of global one?
Date: 2004-03-10 05:08:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexey Nalbat <alexey(at)price(dot)ru> writes:
> Due to the updating algorithm the physical order of tuples in the
> table happens to be such that all equal keys are placed together,
> but not ordered globally.

Hmm... this is of course a weak spot of the correlation-based estimation
method. If you were doing a range query then the computed correlation
might have some bearing on the cost, but when probing for a single key
value, your table will behave much differently than the correlation model
can guess.

> Are there any better ideas?

None at the moment, but I'm open to suggestions. It seems like we might
need different stats for equality probes than range probes.