Re: prepare()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stuart Cooper" <stuart(dot)cooper(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Allison" <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>, "General PostgreSQL List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: prepare()
Date: 2007-05-30 03:10:54
Lists: pgsql-general

"Stuart Cooper" <stuart(dot)cooper(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> My system is stabilised and I'm looking at this now. I'm not getting a
> lot from pg_prepared_statements yet: perhaps this view only reports on
> statements you've prepared using PostgreSQL's PREPARE through their
> SQL interface, and not DBI's DBD::Pg $dbh->prepare().

A quick look at the source code says that pg_prepared_statements should
show both statements prepared with the SQL-level PREPARE command, and
statements prepared through the wire-protocol Parse message (excluding
the "unnamed" statement in the latter case). I'm not familiar with the
guts of DBD::Pg, however; it may not be "preparing" statements in any
sense that the backend knows about, but only massaging them locally to
the client library. It likely matters which version of DBD::Pg you're
talking about, too, because the backend's support for this sort of thing
has been a moving target.