Re: WAL does not recover gracefully from out-of-disk-space

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com>
Cc: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL does not recover gracefully from out-of-disk-space
Date: 2001-03-08 16:39:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com> writes:
> I see that seek+write was changed to write-s in XLogFileInit
> (that was induced by subj, right?), but what about problem
> itself?

> BTW, were performance tests run after seek+write --> write-s
> change?

That change was for safety, not for performance. It might be a
performance win on systems that support fdatasync properly (because it
lets us use fdatasync), otherwise it's probably not a performance win.
But we need it regardless --- if you didn't want a fully-allocated WAL
file, why'd you bother with the original seek-and-write-1-byte code?