Re: WIN1252 patch broke my database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIN1252 patch broke my database
Date: 2005-03-17 18:23:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You shouldn't insert encodings in the middle, because those numbers are
> exposed to clients. We've had troubles with that before. If you add
> an encoding, append it as the last one (before the client encodings in
> this case). This would probably also eliminate the need for the
> initdb.

It doesn't eliminate the need for initdb, because pg_conversion contains
instances of the client-only encoding numbers. I think that clients
know the client-only encoding numbers too, so I'm not sure we aren't
stuck with a compatibility issue.

Perhaps, as long as we are forced to renumber, we should reassign the
client-only encodings to higher numbers (starting at 100, perhaps)
so that there will be daylight to avoid this issue in the future.
This would cost some wasted space in the tables, I think, but that
could be worked around if it's large enough to be annoying.