Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-17 17:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> At the same time, I still think we should push this out to PGXN or
> pgfoundry or something. The fact that it's useful to some people does
> not mean that it's a good example for other people to follow, or that
> we want the core distribution to be in the process of tracking ISBN
> prefixes on behalf of PostgreSQL users everywhere.

I wouldn't object to that as long as we replaced it with some other
module that had a similar relationship to core types. We'd never have
realized the need for CREATE TYPE's LIKE option, until it was far too
late, if we'd not had contrib/isn to show up the problem (cf
commit 3f936aacc057e4b391ab953fea2ffb689a12a8bc).

But really I think this discussion is making a mountain out of a
molehill. If tracking ISBN prefix changes is such a time-consuming
activity, why have we not seen a steady stream of update patches from
users? By my count there's been just one such patch since 2006
(commit 6d1af7b2180719102a907bd3e35d218b43e76ad1).