Re: create user, user exists

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ron Peterson <ron(dot)peterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create user, user exists
Date: 2001-03-16 19:52:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Peterson <ron(dot)peterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com> writes:
> I'm having a bit of authentication trouble. I'm trying to use 'crypt'
> authentication. PostgreSQL 7.1beta5. My pg_hba.conf is as follows:

IIRC, you can't use crypt with a flat password file, you have to use
plain passwd authentication. (On a local connection there's not much
point in crypt anyway...)

BTW, it may help to look in the postmaster log; for many authentication
failures, the error message sent to the client is deliberately not
telling all. The message recorded in the log may have additional
details.