Re: Proposal: More portable way to support 64bit platforms

From: Tsutomu Yamada <tsutomu(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tsutomu Yamada <tsutomu(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Proposal: More portable way to support 64bit platforms
Date: 2009-08-04 11:03:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Peter Eisentraut<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > On Friday 26 June 2009 12:07:24 Tsutomu Yamada wrote:
> >> Included is a conceptual patch to use intptr_t. Comments are welcome.
> >
> > After closer inspection, not having a win64 box available, I have my doubts
> > whether this patch actually does anything. Foremost, it doesn't touch the
> > definition of the Datum type, which ought to be at the core of a change like
> > this.
> >
> > Now I see that you call this a "conceptual patch". Perhaps we should wait
> > until you have developed it into a complete patch?
>
> Is there any reason to consider this patch any further during this
> CommitFest? It seems that this is a long way from being ready to go.

I'm sorry for delaying response.

This patch is needed as a base of the fix for Windows x64 in the future.

There are still a lot of corrections necessary for Win x64.
(typedef Datum, shared buffer, "%lu" messages, headers, build scripts, ...)
We are trying these now, and want to offer the result to the next Commit Fest.

Because we are glad if this pointer patch is confirmed at the early stage,
we submitted patch to this Commit Fest.

Thanks.

--
Tsutomu Yamada