Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration
Date: 2003-06-26 15:59:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> writes:
> Well, consider this. Keep in mind that all of them are directories..

I can see no reason that we'd want a level of directory associated with
schemas...

> Well, with above proposal, drop database should be as simple. It's just that
> it would be more than one `rm -rf`rather than just one.

Right, there would be potentially one per tablespace. The key point
here is that the tablespace definitions are known cluster-wide, so a
"DROP DATABASE x" command running in database y would still be able
to figure out which subdirectories it needs to zap.