Re: Reducing Transaction Start/End Contention

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing Transaction Start/End Contention
Date: 2007-07-31 16:05:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> 1. Increase size of Clog-specific BLCKSZ

>> 2. Perform ExtendClog() as a background activity

>> (1) and (2) can be patched fairly easily for 8.3. I have a prototype
>> patch for (1) on the shelf already from 6 months ago.

> Hmm, I think (1) may be 8.3 material but all the rest are complex enough
> that being left for 8.4 is called for.

NONE of this is 8.3 material. Full stop. Try to keep your eyes on the
ball people --- 8.3 is already months past feature freeze.

I don't even think that Simon has made a case that #1 is a good idea.
Increasing the page size will increase contention between transactions
trying to hit the same clog page, no?