Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.
Date: 2003-06-27 07:21:49
Lists: pgsql-general

"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I was just looking at that fkey violation message yesterday and thinking how
> much better it would be to be able to see the offending value in the
> message. Is that what 7.4 shows?

You mean like this?

regression=# create table t1 (f1 int primary key);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 't1_pkey' for table 't1'
CREATE TABLE
regression=# create table t2 (f2 int references t1);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into t2 values(42);
ERROR: $1 referential integrity violation - key (f2)=(42) referenced from t2 not found in t1
regression=#

I'm still wondering how to rephrase this to fit in the
recently-agreed-to message style guidelines. I think the
(col names)=(values) part must go into errdetail, but I'm
fuzzy beyond that. Comments?