Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Anssi Kääriäinen <anssi(dot)kaariainen(at)thl(dot)fi>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Date: 2011-02-03 18:07:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> I think we will need to come back to it before, long, however, because many extensions are released far more often than major versions of PostgreSQL. So while one might run pg_upgrade, at most, about once every 12-18 months, they will often want to take advantage of the features of extensions on a much more ambitious release schedule.

Well, pg_upgrade is designed to work within a major-version series, eg
you could do a 9.1-to-9.1 upgrade if you needed to install a newer
version of an extension. Admittedly, this is swinging a rather larger
hammer than "apply an upgrade script" would entail. But I'm still not
convinced that we need to expend a great deal of work on making that
process a tad more efficient.

Now having said that, it does occur to me that there is an upgrade-ish
scenario that every user is going to hit immediately, which is how to
get from an existing installation with a pile of "loose" objects created
by one or more contrib modules to a state where those objects are
understood to be parts of modules. But that is a special case that
perhaps deserves a special-case solution, rather than inventing a very
large wheel.