Re: create view

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ryan VanderBijl <rvbijl-pgsql(at)vanderbijlfamily(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create view
Date: 2003-02-25 23:51:31
Lists: pgsql-general

I wrote:
> Ryan VanderBijl <rvbijl-pgsql(at)vanderbijlfamily(dot)com> writes:
>> I've found a way to crash PostgreSQL, using a self-refering view:

> AFAICS the only real defense is to add a run-time check for recursion
> in ApplyRetrieveRule. Annoying; anyone see a better answer?

This turned out to be less painful/expensive than I thought, so there's
now a runtime recursion check in CVS tip:

regression=# SELECT * FROM phy_node_name WHERE node_id = 6;
ERROR: Infinite recursion detected in rules for relation phy_node_name

I don't feel a need to back-patch this into 7.3.*, though; the problem
seems to me to not be worth taking a risk of breaking things.