Re: BUG #4917: NULLs Last as a Global Option

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "MIchael Blake" <michael(dot)blake(at)webdynamic(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4917: NULLs Last as a Global Option
Date: 2009-07-13 05:02:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"MIchael Blake" <michael(dot)blake(at)webdynamic(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Could an option be added to postgresql.conf for default ordering of NULL
> values for different sort orders?

It could be, but whether it will be is an entirely different question.
I think by and large we've discovered that GUC variables that alter the
defined semantics of SQL commands are not such a great idea. In any
case, you'd have to wait at least a year to solve your problem that
way, so fixing it on the client side is probably a better plan.