Re: BUG #6041: Unlogged table was created bad in slave node

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emanuel <postgres(dot)arg(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6041: Unlogged table was created bad in slave node
Date: 2011-05-26 16:34:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Excerpts from Euler Taveira de Oliveira's message of jue may 26 12:00:05 -0400 2011:
>> I think we should emit the real cause in those cases, if possible (not too
>> much overhead). The message would be "Unlogged table content is not available
>> in standby server".

> I guess what it should do is create an empty file in the slave.

Probably it should, because won't the table malfunction after the slave
is promoted to master, if there's no file at all there? Or will the
process of coming live create an empty file even if there was none?

But Euler is pointing out a different issue, which is usability. If the
slave just acts like the table is present but empty, we are likely to
get bug reports about that too. An error telling you you aren't allowed
to access such a table on slaves would be more user-friendly, if we can
do it without too much pain.