Re: Segmentation Fault in logical decoding get/peek API

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jfinzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault in logical decoding get/peek API
Date: 2019-02-14 22:26:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

jfinzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> We ran into a segmentation fault using peek_changes that appears identical
> with what is described in this unfinished thread. We are running pg 10.3,
> and the segfault was fixed by us upgrading to 10.6. However, we could not
> find any clearly related fixes in any of the release notes for 10.4-6
> relating to this bug fix. I did find this commit that I believe fixes the
> issue:
> https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/bba8c612117416907f332fce8b9e80b748e0b798

> If this indeed fixes a critical issue as we think it does, could someone
> please add it in the right place to the release notes?

You'd have to provide some evidence that that commit actually had
something to do with a user-visible problem. It certainly wouldn't,
by itself, have completely fixed any problem: at best it'd have
transformed it from a crash into an elog(ERROR). More to the point,
that commit was intended to silence a probably-hypothetical-anyway
warning about the prior commit, so it wasn't fixing any issue that
ever saw the light of day in a PG release.

So my bet is that your problem was fixed by some other commit between
10.3 and 10.6. Maybe the predecessor one, b767b3f2e; but hard to say
without more investigation than seems warranted, if the bug's gone.