Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL server terminated by signal 11

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL server terminated by signal 11
Date: 2006-07-28 16:31:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

"Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com> writes:
> The statement "copy gslog_event to stdout;" leads to "ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 4294967293" after awhile.
> I did other tests on some other tables that contain less data but that seem also corrupted:

This is a bit scary as it suggests a systemic problem. You should
definitely try to find out exactly what the corruption looks like.
It's usually not hard to home in on where the first corrupted row is
--- you do
SELECT ctid, * FROM tab LIMIT n;
and determine the largest value of n that won't trigger a failure.
The corrupted region is then just after the last ctid you see.
You can look at those blocks with "pg_filedump -i -f" and see if
anything pops out. Check the PG archives for previous discussions
of dealing with corrupted data.