Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] money or dollar type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: hackers postgres <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] money or dollar type
Date: 1998-05-11 15:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Therefore, I propose that the money type be extended to include a
> currency definition, the default being that of the backend environment.

This is not a bad idea; it would address some problems that I have in
my application too. (What I was planning to do was store a separate
currency field associated with every money amount, but I think Oliver's
idea is better.)

However, what money *really* needs is more precision. Has there been
any thought of working on the full SQL exact-numeric package? (If I
read what I've seen correctly, that boils down to user-specifiable
decimal field widths, right?) A variable-width money type including
a currency indicator would actually solve my problem...