Re: Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Stephan Vollmer <svollmer(at)gmx(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow
Date: 2006-01-20 17:14:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

> The cost on inserting would generally go to either penalty, or
> picksplit. Certainly if you're inserting lots of values in a short
> interval, I can imagine picksplit being nasty, since the algorithms for
> a lot of datatypes are not really reknown for their speed.

Tut tut ... in the words of the sage, it is a capital mistake to
theorize in advance of the data. You may well be right, but on the
other hand it could easily be something dumb like an O(N^2) loop over
a list structure.

I'll post some gprof numbers after Stephan sends me the dump. We
should probably move the thread to someplace like pgsql-perform, too.