Re: add_path optimization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add_path optimization
Date: 2009-02-04 15:32:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It's been about 23 hours and it's still running. No apparent memory
> leakage. No significant disk activity. One CPU pegged (of the 16 on
> the machine).

Hmmm ... I wonder if it could be stuck in an infinite loop? It's
probably just a horribly bad plan choice, but ...

> Would a stack trace be of any value?

If you can attach to the backend with gdb, try "bt", then "cont",
then wait a few seconds, then control-C and "bt" again. Repeat
five or ten times and see if there's any consistency to the traces.
You should be able to just "quit" and leave the backend running
afterwards.