Re: Postgres regexp matching failure?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres regexp matching failure?
Date: 2006-09-05 15:22:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr> writes:
> So, I guess it's obvious that postgres doesn't treat regular expressions
> the same way as java/perl/pyton/php/awk/sed do...

When you get into stuff as arcane as word-boundary constraints, you'll
find that regexes are not NEARLY as well standardized as that flippant
complaint suggests. For penance, actually try it in all six of those
languages and report back.

Postgres' regexp code is the same as Tcl's (it's Henry Spencer's package)
and if you check TFM you will find out that \y, or possibly \M, is what
you want.