Re: BUG #5227: please add a divide operator for intervals

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michal Pasternak" <michal(dot)dtz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5227: please add a divide operator for intervals
Date: 2009-12-02 23:45:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Michal Pasternak" <michal(dot)dtz(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Please add a divide operator for INTERVAL type, if possible.

Given that intervals have multiple subfields, it's far from obvious
what division should mean. What is '1 month' / '1 day'?

> db=# SELECT EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM '15 seconds'::INTERVAL) / EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM
> '15 seconds'::INTERVAL);

If that's the behavior you want, you already have a way to do it
(and you could wrap that up in a user-defined operator if you chose).
It loses quite a lot of information though, so I doubt we'd want
to enshrine it as the standard definition.