Re: very high CPU usage in "top", but not in "mpstat"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Cyrille Bonnet" <cyrille(at)3months(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: very high CPU usage in "top", but not in "mpstat"
Date: 2004-05-05 13:03:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Cyrille Bonnet" <cyrille(at)3months(dot)com> writes:
> Should I be worried that Postgres is eating up 99% of my CPU??? Or is this
> *expected* behaviour?

It's not expected, unless you are running some very long-running query.

The conflict between what top says and what mpstat says is strange; I
wonder if you might have a buggy version of one of them? You should
probably check some other tools (try "vmstat 1" for instance) to see if
you can get a consensus on whether the CPU is maxed out or not ...