Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Date: 2006-12-02 17:05:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> O.k., doesn't this seem like killing a squirrel with a 50mm tank gun?
> The fact that this was suggested as anything but a last resort isn't to
> inspiring.

Before you start ringing alarm bells, you need to instrument the actual
performance effect. So far all I have seen is an assumption that the
effect will be serious. Let's see some performance metrics that
demonstrate the problem you think might exist.

The Windows port has been out for nearly 2 years. The fact that we have
not seen complaints about this leads me to be somewhat skeptical. You
could be right, but I want hard evidence. (And why wouldn't this be a
problem for any DBMS running on Windows? There are just huge numbers of
24/7 Windows servers running SQLServer or Oracle.)

cheers

andrew