Re: Encoding and i18n

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encoding and i18n
Date: 2007-10-07 01:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> Since nl_langinfo(CODESET) is supposedly determined only by LC_CTYPE, you
>> could argue that strftime's results should be in that encoding regardless,

> It seems to me we aren't actually using strftime any more in any case.

Sorry, I was using strftime as a generic standin for "everything that
LC_TIME affects". Trace the usage of backend/utils/adt/pg_locale.c
to see what's really at stake there.

The practical issues would likely be things like type money using a
currency symbol that's given in the wrong encoding.

And of course you did get the point that we already know a bogus
LC_MESSAGES setting leads directly to error-stack-overflow PANIC.