Does EXEC_BACKEND mode still need to propagate setlocale settings?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Does EXEC_BACKEND mode still need to propagate setlocale settings?
Date: 2009-07-08 18:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The recent bug report about CheckMyDatabase() failing to use
pg_perm_setlocale() led me to look for other uses of setlocale() that
might be wrong. I found two fishy calls in restore_backend_variables().
I am thinking though that the correct fix is to delete them and get
rid of the overhead of transmitting the postmaster's setlocale settings
to child processes this way. A regular backend is going to do
CheckMyDatabase momentarily, and in any case it seems to me that the
postmaster hasn't bothered to change these values off the system defaults
and so there is no need to do anything special to inherit its values.

Comments?