Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Send new protocol keepalive messages to standby servers.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Send new protocol keepalive messages to standby servers.
Date: 2012-06-05 21:18:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> 1. Functions - it's fairly easy to add some functions. Initially, we
> can add them as a contrib module, then if an initdb is forced
> elsewhere we can include them in the main server.

While I dislike the idea of a forced initdb at this point, adding a
contrib module that we're going to delete again in the next release
seems considerably worse. That pushes complexity onto everybody,
not just those beta testers who might wish to upgrade their test
installations to final release. (And, as we've seen with Andrew's
attempts at back-porting json support, we don't really have that
great of an answer for handling functions migrating into core from
a contrib module.)

How badly do we really need these functions right now?