Re: problem with notify/listen

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with notify/listen
Date: 2002-01-15 15:25:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com> writes:
> If I run jdbc with setAutoCommit=true then notifications work as
> expected, however if I run with setAutoCommit=false then notifications
> are not being sent from the backend to the client.

You are aware that notifications are only sent at transaction commit,
right?

> The only thing that is unusual about this is that the
> "commit;begin;" command string is sent to the server as a single query
> to be processed.

Hm. The response to this string (assuming that there's a notify
waiting) would look like

N foo (NOTIFY)
C COMMIT (commit command complete)
C BEGIN (begin command complete)
Z (ready for new query)

(that's from memory, so forgive any minor inaccuracy). I speculate that
either JDBC or your test code is dropping the NOTIFY in this situation.