Re: Libpq is not a shared library on Mac OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Benjamin Reed <ranger(at)befunk(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Libpq is not a shared library on Mac OS X
Date: 2003-02-02 03:24:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I said:
>> I will test and apply the parts that are related to OS X shared library
>> behavior.

For the moment I am forced to reject this patch entirely, because it
breaks the regression tests.

The trouble is that src/test/regress/GNUmakefile doesn't use
Makefile.shlib, but relies on the contents of the port makefile
to build regress.so. The patch changes Makefile.darwin to define
DLSUFFIX as .dylib, but the provided rule for making a dylib is
inappropriate for the regression shlib.

I am inclined to think that the right answer is to give up the shortcut
of not including Makefile.shlib in regress/GNUmakefile ... in which case
we could probably remove the stub .so rules from the port makefiles
altogether. But I don't have time at the moment to investigate this.