Re: staring pgsql on fedora 8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: newbiegalore <banerjee(dot)anirban(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: staring pgsql on fedora 8
Date: 2008-03-06 22:12:24
Lists: pgsql-general

newbiegalore <banerjee(dot)anirban(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When I use this command $> service postgresql initdb nothing really
> happens. The display says, initializing database and then nothing.
> I've waited for 10 minutes at a stretch and CPU/memory utilization
> doesn't seem to be going out of the window implying some major
> processing of some sort..!

Shouldn't take more than a minute to finish initdb, even on very slow
hardware. Have you looked to see if anything gets created under
/var/lib/pgsql/? In particular, if /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log
exists, looking into that file might tell you something.

I'm assuming you're using the standard Fedora RPMs for PG, which
at this writing are
postgresql-libs-8.2.6-1.fc8
postgresql-8.2.6-1.fc8
postgresql-server-8.2.6-1.fc8
(There are more but this is the minimum set to run a postmaster.)