Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date: 2007-10-10 21:17:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

"Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Could you describe bit more? The is_visible_txid() works
> on data returned by txid_current_snapshot()? How can there
> be any subtrans id's if txid_current_snapshot() wont return
> them?

Ah, I see: txid_current() never reports a subxact ID so there's no need to
consider them elsewhere in txids either. OK, but this desperately needs
to be documented.

BTW, I notice that use of txid_current will force assignment of an XID
in a transaction that might not otherwise have one. Does this matter,
or is the expectation that it's only going to be used in transactions
that are making DB modifications anyway?