Performance difference between IN(...) and ANY(...) operator

From: Gnanam <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance difference between IN(...) and ANY(...) operator
Date: 2009-07-08 06:50:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I'm using both IN and ANY() operators extensively my application. Can
anybody answer me on the following questions:
1) Which operator is advantage over the another, interms of performance?
2) If I've indexed these columns, will both the operators make use of index
scanning?
3) Also I read from PostgreSQL documentation that there is a limit in
passing values to IN operator. As far as I remember, it is 1000, but then I
don't have the web link justifying this handy now. If yes/no, is it
applicable for ANY operator also?
4) Is there any difference in framing queries at query planner level?

Regards,
Gnanam