Re: New email address

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: José Luis Tallón <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New email address
Date: 2015-11-25 16:12:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think that would put us in a situation where DKIM signatures would still
>> pass, at least unless the source insisted on signing Sender: too.

> Incidentally I'm confused about your concern about Sender. Sender has
> almost no significance for email afaik.

The PG lists do not think so; for example in -hackers traffic you will
find

Sender: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org

which matches the envelope From address. Every other mailing list I'm on
behaves similarly. Now, I'm not an email standards guru so I have no idea
whether that's actually necessary or not, but I kinda doubt that you're
right and all the mailing list software authors are wrong.