Re: status of yet another timezone todo item

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: status of yet another timezone todo item
Date: 2006-07-25 20:24:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> what do people think about this TODO item:
> o Merge hardwired timezone names with the TZ database; allow either
> kind everywhere a TZ name is currently taken
> I think it is kind of done.

Not quite --- SET TIMEZONE doesn't take the abbreviations.

I'm not sure how important it is to accept SET TIME ZONE 'AKST'
given that such a thing is not going to have any DST awareness;
for most parts of the world, it's probably *wrong* to do this
rather than SET TIME ZONE 'America/Anchorage'.
But that was part of the original thought behind the TODO item.
Do we want to explicitly decide not to support that?

I'm not sure whether there are any other holes (I thought of
AT TIME ZONE, but it seems to work with both).