Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, rse(at)engelschall(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish
Date: 2006-08-05 02:05:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

>> In any case, the PG_init proposal neither adds nor takes away ability
>> to do stuff immediately post-fork, so I think that's an orthogonal
>> consideration.

> So is the only question whether there's a need to do stuff pre-fork?

That's not a question, that's a well-established fact --- pl/R certainly
needs it, and any other library that has expensive setup work that can
propagate through a fork does too.

I think adding a hook to allow a postmaster-preloaded library to execute
some work immediately post-fork is a separate consideration. Feel free
to propose it if you want, but I don't see what it's got to do with the
patch on the table.