Re: Edge case problem with pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Edge case problem with pg_dump
Date: 2002-05-22 14:28:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> There seems to be a pg_dump issue with inherited tables when columns
> are added to the parent table after creating the child table.

It's always been there --- ever tried dumping and reloading the
regression database?

Right now the only safe way to dump such a database is to use the
inserts-with-explicit-column-names option. Someone was working on
extending COPY to allow a column name list, and as soon as that gets
done I intend to change pg_dump to specify a column name list in
COPY commands. That should fix this problem.