Re: Can't restart statistics collection and autovacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ignacio Colmenero <ignacio(dot)colmenero(at)abracontrols(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't restart statistics collection and autovacuum
Date: 2014-03-14 19:13:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Ignacio Colmenero <ignacio(dot)colmenero(at)abracontrols(dot)com> writes:
> Yesterday, the database server was rebooted and database wasn't shut
> down properly.
> When it went back online, the following messages showed up:
> 2014-03-13 08:46:08 UTC LOG: 08006: test message did not get through
> on socket for statistics collector

The only known reason for that to happen is kernel packet filtering rules
that prevent passing traffic through the stats-collector socket. It seems
very unlikely that this "just happened" without somebody/something outside
Postgres actively breaking it. I'd take a close look at recent system
configuration changes, particularly in the firewall area. It wouldn't
hurt to know exactly *why* the system was rebooted, too.