Re: Using nicknames on planet?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using nicknames on planet?
Date: 2010-02-24 18:19:02
Lists: pgsql-www

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I used to live in a small town with only about 30K residents, and once
> when I forgot my ID card I discovered that just my gym had 3 Greg Smiths
> listed as members when they tried to confirm my membership by name.

Yeah, there are four or five Tom Lanes in the Pittsburgh phonebook,
but at least I'm not a Smith ;-)

I think we should have a policy that prevents using misleading or
unknown nicks on planet, but in this case depesz is arguably better
known by that name than as his "real" name. I cannot see any reason
not to let his planet blog be signed that way.