Re: Out of memory errors with mod_perl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Heaven <steve(at)thornet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of memory errors with mod_perl
Date: 2000-10-22 02:58:09
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Steve Heaven <steve(at)thornet(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> If we try to run a perl script which accesses a Postgres dB using mod_perl
> with Apache we get:
> "child pid 25144 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
> Out of memory!"

I am mighty ignorant about Apache, but I'll venture a bet that the "Out
of memory!" message is a red herring. It could easily be coming from
some clueless bit of code that prints that in response to *any* failure.

The thing that looks real to me is the report that a child process died
with a SEGV signal. You should go look for the resulting corefile and
see if you can get a backtrace from it. For that matter, do you even
know what program the child process was running?