Re: nit-pick optimization for findColumn()

From: Peter Speck <speck(at)ruc(dot)dk>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: nit-pick optimization for findColumn()
Date: 2003-06-19 18:45:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

> Have you identified this as being a performance bottleneck in any
> realworld application?

Not in the jdbc driver. I had some code from a previous developer where
I had to eliminate calls to String.equalsIgnoreCase() because it was
inside a tight loop (called more than 310 million times). So my
optimization of the jdbc driver was an automatic reaction. I knew the
oracle 8.1 driver does 2 loops, first one with String.equals(), and
then one with String.equalsIgnoreCase(). So you're right, this
doesn't matter for the jdbc driver.

----
- Peter Speck