Re: Stamping of 8.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stamping of 8.4
Date: 2008-02-13 21:27:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Stephen Frost wrote:
>> We should bump the minor version when we actually add something new to
>> the library (which is probably just about every time we do a major
>> version, but still).

> The problem is the risk of forgetting during development. When we break
> an API it is obvious, but improvements are so regular you can't remember
> when you first do it for each interface.

We could possibly do the bump at the end of the cycle (eg, just before
beta) if no major bump has happened meanwhile. However, this would
complicate life for developers. I believe one of the arguments for the
immediate minor bump was so that you could tell a development library
from the previous release version, and (if your platform lets you) even
install them in parallel.