Re: regression test for extended query protocol

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regression test for extended query protocol
Date: 2016-08-03 14:53:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>>> In my understanding, we don't have any regression test for protocol
>>> level prepared query (we do have SQL level prepared query tests,
>>> though). Shouldn't we add those tests to the regression test suites?

>> I thought that ECPG was covering a portion of that. Right?

> In my understanding, ECPG calls libpq, thus the test cases are limited
> to the cases which are only possible with libpq (or it may be even
> limited to the cases where ECPG deal with.)

I do not think it's very practical for the core tests to try to cover
any behavior that's not reachable via libpq. Even testing stuff that's
not reached through ecpg would require a whole slew of new infrastructure
with no use except testing.

I think realistically a better approach to this would be to get some
buildfarm members running the JDBC regression tests (I assume there
are some ...)