Bug in information_schema: column names don't match spec

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Bug in information_schema: column names don't match spec
Date: 2010-10-08 15:19:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While reading the proposed triggers-on-views patch I noticed that
information_schema.sql defines these columns in the TRIGGERS view:

CAST(
CASE WHEN t.tgtype & 2 = 2 THEN 'BEFORE' WHEN t.tgtype & 64 = 64 THEN 'INSTEAD OF' ELSE 'AFTER' END
AS character_data) AS condition_timing,
CAST(null AS sql_identifier) AS condition_reference_old_table,
CAST(null AS sql_identifier) AS condition_reference_new_table,
CAST(null AS sql_identifier) AS condition_reference_old_row,
CAST(null AS sql_identifier) AS condition_reference_new_row,

In SQL:2008 I see the corresponding columns named as

ACTION_TIMING, ACTION_REFERENCE_OLD_TABLE,
ACTION_REFERENCE_NEW_TABLE, ACTION_REFERENCE_OLD_ROW,
ACTION_REFERENCE_NEW_ROW,

Was this just a thinko in our transcription, or did they rename the view
columns somewhere along the line?

Perhaps more to the point, what shall we do about it? Just renaming the
view columns is easy enough, but should we try to do something to limit
the impact on existing clients?