Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?
Date: 2003-01-10 23:44:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is it a good idea for CREATE TABLE to default to WITHOUT OIDS, rather
> than WITH OIDS?

Are you intending that pg_dump will always attach either WITH OIDS or
WITHOUT OIDS to its CREATE TABLE commands?

If we do not do so, the behavior of a dump and reload will be dependent
on the setting of the GUC variable at reload time, which seems like a
big hazard. On the other hand, if we do do that then (a) pg_dump output
becomes even less portable than it is now, and (b) upgraded databases
will still have OIDs, which renders the "improved storage efficiency"
argument a bit thin.