Re: SQL/MED estimated time of arrival?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Eric Davies <eric(at)barrodale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED estimated time of arrival?
Date: 2010-11-05 14:43:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Thanks, now I see your point. Current FdwRoutine has no appropriate
> function because Open is called from ExecutorStart which is used by
> EXPLAIN too.

> But then we have mismatch between executor node interface and FDW
> interface about BeginScan. Should we add new function such as
> ExecBeginNode and call ExecBeginXXX for each plan node?

That seems like a massive amount of new code, and wasted cycles during
every query startup, to fix a very small problem.

There's a flag EXEC_FLAG_EXPLAIN_ONLY that tells node Init functions
whether the query is going to be run "for real" or only EXPLAINed.
Use that to decide whether to do any real work.