Dumping + restoring a subset of a table?

From: Shaul Dar <shauldar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Dumping + restoring a subset of a table?
Date: 2009-10-06 13:16:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a way to dump+restore a subset of a database (on another
server), using both selection and projection of the source tables (for
simplicity assume a single table).
I understand that pg_dump will not let me do this. One way I considered is
creating a view with the subset definition and dumping it instead of the
original table. In that case how do I restore the target table from the
dumped view (what does pg_dump generate for a view?)? Can I still use
pg_dump to create SQL commands (vs the binary file option), and will these
still use COPY instead of INSERT statements?

Is there another way to do this? Maybe replication? I care mostly about the
time needed to replicate the DB (subset), less so about temp space needed.

Thanks.

-- Shaul