Re: Question on pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: michael(at)synchronicity(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on pg_dump
Date: 2004-02-09 20:41:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Brusser <michael(at)synchronicity(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running Postgres v.7.3.4.
> In my database dump file I see this:

> CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler () RETURNS language_handler
> AS '/home/tmichael/build/relipg21/syncinc/lib.sol2/plpgsql',
> 'plpgsql_call_handler'
> LANGUAGE c;

> The hardcoded library path may become an obstacle when loading
> data into a different server. Is there a way to avoid this?

The preferred way to write it nowadays is '$libdir/plpgsql', but
you evidently have a legacy value embedded in your pg_proc table.
pg_dump will not second-guess this, and so the old full-path
approach will persist over dump/reloads until you do something about it.

I'd suggest editing the dump file before you reload, or even manually
updating pg_proc.probin for this function entry so that future dumps
are right.